Terms of Donation
- 1.1 This website allows you to make a regular donation to The Crowd, also known as Climate Giving, a registered charity (registration number 1180221).
- 1.2 These terms of donation describe how you can make donations and the associated terms and conditions of your donation. By using the website to make a donation you indicate your agreement to these terms. If you do not wish to be bound by these terms, you should not use the website to make a donation.
- 1.3 The Crowd may amend or update these terms from time to time. Every time you use this website, please ensure that you understand the latest terms and how they apply to you.
2. Making donations to The Crowd
- 2.1 All donations made to The Crowd through this website are made to The Crowd itself. The Crowd, at its discretion, will periodically pay grants to the organisations listed on the website.
- 2.2 Donations can be made by direct debit by following instructions on the website. Direct debits are managed by GoCardless, a secure, digital direct debit payment platform, that is authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority to provide payment services.
- 2.3 The Crowd is a registered charity, and your donation may be eligible for Gift Aid (see paragraph 5 for more details).
- 2.4 The Crowd does not offer refunds. Once a donation is made, the transaction is final and cannot be disputed or reversed unless it was fraudulently made. If you become aware of any fraudulent use of your bank account you should immediately report this to your bank in accordance with their reporting requirements.
3. Donation preferences
- 3.1 The Crowd gives donors the opportunity to nominate preferred partner organisations, to which they would like their donations to be paid.
- 3.2 Whilst donors are encouraged to indicate a preference for the partner organisations to which they would like their donations to be paid, The Crowd ultimately retains full discretion over the use of donations. Although The Crowd intends to honour stated donation preferences, there may be occasions where the trustees determine that the objects of The Crowd can be better furthered by using donations for other purposes, be that paying them to another partner organisation or using them for other costs associated with operating The Crowd. In such an event The Crowd holds no obligation to inform the donor or seek their consent. The Crowd expects such instances to be extremely infrequent.
- 3.3 Notwithstanding paragraph 3.2 above, The Crowd intends to abide by donor preferences in the manner more particularly described in paragraphs 3.4 and 3.5.
- 3.4 Where a donor has indicated a preference for their donation to be divided between all partner organisations listed on this website, donations will typically be used as follows:
- 3.4.1 Having deducted an average operating fee of 8% from donations (for more detail on fees, please see paragraph 6 below), donations will be divided equally between all organisations listed on the website.
- 3.4.2 When a new partner organisation is added to the website, or if an existing partner is removed, the donation in the following month will be split evenly between the revised list of organisations. In such circumstance The Crowd holds no obligation to notify the donor of this change.
- 3.4.3 Accordingly, if more organisations are added to the website, donors can expect their monthly donation to be split between a larger number of recipients and for each therefore to receive a proportionately smaller sum.
- 3.5 Where a donor has indicated a preference for their donations to be passed on to a specific selection of recipient organisations, donations will typically be used as below.
- 3.5.1 Having deducted an average operating fee of 8% from donations (for more detail on fees, please see paragraph 6 below), donations will be divided equally between selected organisations.
- 3.5.2 If an organisation that a donor has indicated a preference to support is removed from the website as an approved partner, in subsequent months the corresponding portion of their monthly donation will be evenly distributed between the other organisations that that donor supports.
- 3.5.3 Should a donor wish to amend the list of partner organisations that they have indicated a preference to support, they can inform The Crowd of their updated preferences at any time by emailing email@example.com.
- 3.6 The Crowd and each partner organisation have agreed the activities and/or projects on which funding can be spent. The Crowd cannot be held responsible where donors are dissatisfied with how their chosen partner organisations use any donation that has been made through the website.
- 3.7 Should The Crowd agree to change the activities and/or projects for which one of its partner organisations can use their grants, The Crowd holds no obligation to consult with, or inform, donors of the amendment. In all cases The Crowd expects to update the information on this website to accurately reflect the revised use of funds.
4. The organisations listed on the website
- 4.1 Charities and organisations are listed on the website at The Crowd’s discretion. A listing on this website indicates an expectation that The Crowd will pay grants to that organisation.
- 4.2 Organisations are selected and approached by The Crowd based on set criteria. The Crowd has entered into grant agreements with each organisation listed on this website, which incorporate the terms of all grants to be paid to those organisations.
- 4.3 The Crowd does not raise funds on behalf of the organisations listed on this website, nor does it act as a fundraising agent for them. The Crowd raises donations in its own right, for use in furtherance of its objects.
5. Gift Aid
- 5.1 If you make a donation using the website and confirm that you are a UK taxpayer in accordance with the requirements of the Gift Aid scheme, we will reclaim Gift Aid on your donation.
- 5.2 The Crowd is not a financial, tax or accounting adviser and you should not rely on information on the website to determine the financial, tax or accounting treatment of any donation which you make using the website.
- 5.3 When making a donation, it may be necessary for The Crowd to verify your identity or the details which you have provided. You agree that you will provide such information or documents as may reasonably be requested for these purposes.
- 6.1 The Crowd will deduct an average fee of 8% from each donation, before paying the remainder to its partner organisations in the form of grants. This 8% overhead includes costs associated with payment processing. More detail on the overhead deducted from donations can be found here.
7. Non-adherence to terms
- 7.1 If you do not comply with these terms, The Crowd has the right to suspend or permanently revoke your ability to use this website to make donations.
8. Use of your personal information
9. Governing Law
- 9.1 Any disputes or disagreements in connection with these Terms of Donation are subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of England.